The String Armonica (BATCH 1 ORDER)
The String Armonica: A New Class of Synthesizer
(NOTE: We will be releasing batches and will send out emails containing a purchase link whenever a new batch is ready. You can add your name to the list HERE)
This batch is for units with serial numbers #001 and #002!
Edit: Just one unit left!
The String Armonica reimagines musical synthesis by using strings, instead of electronic waveforms, as its sound source. This instrument employs 12 chromatically tuned strings, each harmonically resonating through a custom-built internal synthesizer. This setup enables users to play a range of four octaves using a MIDI keyboard, with all strings capable of sounding simultaneously in full polyphony. The strings function similarly to speakers, being precisely tuned to respond to the synthesizer's output. Imagine an array of 48 strings, each with its own Sound Stone sustainer, but all controlled through a keyboard or MIDI interface for a unique and rich musical experience.
The String Armonica also features additional expressive controls for enhanced musicality. An external expression pedal allows for nuanced dynamic control, and an onboard tremolo system can be operated through a MIDI keyboard's mod wheel. This functionality gives the player the ability to pulse the strings, adding depth and texture to the sound.
- 48-voice internal top octave synthesizer
- 12 chromatically tuned strings
- 5v usb power for external keyboard
- 5-pin MIDI input and volume control - NOTE:MUST USE 5 PIN MIDI
- Stereo output with modulation-controlled tremolo
- Removable felt damper bar for versatile playability
- Hand stamped serial plates
- MIDI In: 5-pin input for seamless integration with your setup.
- Range: MIDI notes 36-82 (C2-B5) - plays one octave higher to match standard MIDI keyboards.
- Strings: Specially designed for specific gauges, ensuring optimal sound quality.
- Hardwood Oak design handcrafted by us here in Texas
- High quality Grover Tuners which ensure ease of tuning and stability
- String Armonica
- Soft Gig Bag Case
- TRS stereo to dual mono TS cable
- 5 Pin MIDI to USB Dongle
- Felt Damper
- User Manual
- Customer service for troubleshooting
- FREE USA SHIPPING
Tuning and Maintenance:
Tuning the String Armonica is an art in itself, allowing for a personalized sound. Voicing the instrument is crucial and will be important for each user to learn. In order to achieve equal volume across all octaves, it must be tuned correctly. This is more complex than just tuning to the fundamental note of each string. Due to string tension and inharmonicity of harmonics, you will want to tune each string slightly flat, so that the higher octaves are as loud as the fundamental. The instrument will still be in concert pitch, so long as its tuned correctly. The tuning process entails a learning curve, which will become easier over time. We can help guide each user if they are having any difficulty learning.
Strings will be detuned prior to shipment and will need to be retuned and acclimated once each unit is received.
Connect and Control:
Easily connect the String Armonica to various audio setups via standalone 5 pin MIDI keyboard or a DAW on a computer. User's must have a MIDI keyboard with 5 pin MIDI output or will need to use a USB controller in conjunction with their DAW and the supplied USB to MIDI dongle that we provide.
Here is performance of the String Armonica (earlier prototype) played with a MIDI keyboard.
Returns and Warranty:
- Limited One-Year Warranty: We stand behind the quality of our instruments.
- 60-Day Return Policy: Satisfaction guaranteed.
- Users must pay for return shipping as well as insurance unless their unit has factory defects
Because this is a brand new instrument, we hope users will share any thoughts they have for improvement and will be patient learning how to use the instrument. Similar to an autoharp or piano, there will be a learning curve with how to properly voice the instrument so that all octaves have an even keeled volume response.
Thank you for your interest in our new instrument!
For more detailed information, please read the User Manual before purchasing.